One of the big advantages of the ketogenic diet is the ability to STOP once yu reached your desired weight and ketosis. Continue reading “STOP KETO AFTER YOU REACH YOUR GOAL(S)”
What’s one of the BEST THINGS you can do as you reach your 50s and 60s? BUILD MUSCLE!!!
Muscle loss with aging is called sarcopenia, and it’s a natural part of the aging process. When you get older, it’s not only hard to put on muscle; it’s hard to maintain muscle. And, for those that are on diets restricting calories, there’s even further decline in muscle mass which can cause an increase in insulin resistance which translates to higher glucose levels.
Building muscle along with a diet with low carbohydrates has been KEY for me to maintain and keep my youthful energy and vigor. Your workouts DON’T NEED TO CONSUME YOUR WHOLE DAY! With as little as 30 minutes just 4x weekly you can achieve the muscle you need to help keep you young!
I just started a new routine called LIFT4 offered by Beachbody which is convenient for me to do anywhere. I just download the 4 exercises on my smartphone and it’s DONE! It combines Lifting + HIIT + CORE all within 30 minutes and only 4x weekly. When I travel, I take along my bands to replace the weights which are just as effective.
I think the little secret that MOST DON’T EVEN realize is accessing ALL OF the amazing fitness programs on Beachbody along with their nutrition plans cost only $99/annually.
I’m not one for HARD SELL!
If you know me, you know that about me. But this is something I am passionate about. Keeping Fit and Healthy as I age is key to living the best life through my last part of life. And, If you haven’t figured it out yet – I AM DETERMINED TO ACHIEVE THIS.
If you’re interested in the fitness routine offered by Beachbody On Demand, don’t hesitate to message me. For $99/year you not only get the Beachbody fitness and nutrition but I’ll put you in my GetFitWithConnie group for additional tools and support. Not sure, Check It Out Here: GetFitWithConnie
If you have been looking at kicking sugar to the curb and are interested in a complete program with recipes, suggested menus, and daily coaching support check out my XM 28 DAY EASY KETO…. I’m doing it and it’s changing up my life!
Whatever you do, make sure you DON’T WAIT TO TAKE BACK YOUR HEALTH! EVERY SINGLE DAY COUNTS!
In Good Health
How to Test Blood Sugars at Home
Anyone who has diabetes, with high sugar level, or desires to master their metabolism (that’s me) should monitor or test their blood sugar level regularly. If you are aware of and know your blood sugar level, you can make your plan for keeping your disease in check. Testing blood sugars is also applicable to anyone who is concerned about his/her health issues. I test my own and my husbands the first Sunday of every month to ensure are sugar levels are in-check which helps me catch any problems early so we can do something about it.
Visiting a doctor regularly is very time-consuming, but don’t worry because you can test your own “fasting” blood sugar at home. However, before doing this I would advise you see your doctor as he may recommend different times for testing. Here is the standard protocol that I use for testing. Please note, there are three different times of testing so determine what’s best for you and get your own doctors opinion.
- Morning fasting – it provides information for blood sugar levels before eating or drinking. Morning blood sugar reading is also a basis in giving a baseline number that provides on how the body processes sugar during a day. (THIS IS WHAT I DO now Monthly)
- Before meal – sometimes, blood sugar tends to be low before a meal. So, it suggests difficulties in managing blood sugar when it comes to high blood glucose readings.
- After meal – after meal testing provides a good idea on how your body reacts to food that you eat, and if sugar can be able to efficiently go into the cells for use. It can also help in diagnosing diabetes which is applicable during pregnancy. Mostly, doctors recommend testing 2 hours after your meal. (This is a TEST I recommend for my TYPE II DIABETIC CLIENTS often as we discover what foods work BEST FOR THEM).
Lastly, with new clients that are Diabetic, I like to Test their Blood Sugar levels before exercising and after. I like to see how their bodies are utilizing the sugars with different types of exercise like:
- Walking briskly
This helps us FINE TUNE their own CARE PLAN to get them on track.
After your doctor consultations for the right testing schedule and frequency, here are the following steps YOU may want to consider:
- First, read the manual for monitoring blood sugar and the testing strips. Mostly, testing strips should be inserted in the monitor before reading.
- Wash and dry your hands. (I use the sterile wipes and if I’m with clients, surgical gloves)
- Clean the testing area with alcohol. Some monitors allow testing on your arm and in any body area that is less sensitive.
- If you are going to test on your finger, test on its side and use different fingers with every test. Lancets allow you to set how far it can penetrate your skin. Those who have thicker and drier skin must set the penetration higher.
- Position your finger on a firm surface before lancing.
- Squeeze your finger while you hold it on a chest level and allow at least a drop of blood to flow on the test strip.
- Take note and record the blood sugar reading.
Interpreting the home test results
Fasting or before a meal
- With diabetes: 80-130 mg/dl
- Without diabetes: 70-99 mg/dl
- With diabetes- below 180 mg/dl
- Without diabetes- below 140 mg/dl
Your target numbers may differ from one person to another. It may also change over time depending on your health, weight, age and other factors. But before doing a home test, you should also consider the important guidelines that your doctor will give to you. If you have diabetes, it cannot be easily diagnosed just by home testing. You should still need further testing from the doctor.
If you would like a personal consultation to discuss your own CARE PLAN, please don’t hesitate to reach out for a free consultation. Book your appointment HERE or feel free to drop me a note at: CRayna@Xtreme-Measures.com
In good health,
– Coach Connie
There’s a reason why celebrities and other highly successful people use coaches: IT WORKS!
More than 91% of people who start a new program quit early – even before their new program and/or routine becomes a habit, and 61% will GIVE UP WITHIN THE VERY FIRST WEEK!